Rejoice if you’re a Republican.
In a chilling article (read it!) Jon Chait describes the dismantling of government programs as required by Paul Ryan’s budget as Romney has adopted it with few alterations. It has already passed the House. Even if Democrats retain their majority in the Senate, the following measures can be passed by a simple majority with the budget reconciliation process:
- repeal Obamacare
- lower income-tax rates
- turn Medicare for people under 55 years old into subsidized private insurance
- increase defense spending
- cut domestic spending, with especially large cuts for Medicaid, food stamps, and other programs targeted to the very poor.
- The erosion of Roe v Wade, which made abortion safe and legal throughout the country, will continue through legislation (as Paul Ryan indicated in the VP debate) until a woman’s right to choose termination of an unwanted pregnancy will be illegal everywhere in the U.S.
- The watering down or repeal of Dodd-Frank (regulations intended to prevent another financial meltdown; consumer protection)
If you’re a liberal, be very, very scared.