Cars in lower Manhattan (East 14th St.) were submerged up to their headlights Monday evening.
- 20% of the U.S. population may be affected
- Sandy has claimed at least 16 lives so far
- Possibly a week before power is restored in most of NYC
- 50+ houses burned down in Queens
- Subway service on all lines will take at least a week to be restored
- NYU Hospital evacuated after backup generator failed
- Surge at Battery Park was a record 13 feet
- 14,000+ flights cancelled in airports from Washington, DC to Boston
Unfortunately, the hits will keep on coming, even as a tamed but still ferocious Sandy wends its way north- and eastward.